Religious Sites
in Livorno (Italy) Cruise Port

Major Religious Sites
in Livorno for Cruise Travelers
- reviews of churches: St John the Baptist, St Ferdinand, St George. St Benedetto, Dutch Church, St Mary.

By: | Date:

Four of Livorno's Highlights are Religious Sites - the Cathedral, St. Catherine's Church, the Churches in Via Madonna and the Synagogue - but whilst exploring the historical city many other churches are worth a detour.

Some of these Religious Sites are closed to the public (or only open for mass) but are interesting to admire just from the outside. When possible, do step inside as most have some remarkable features to admire.

 

Chiesa di San Giovanni Battista
(Church of St. John the Baptist)

With a single nave plan with a rectangular apse, a very high ceiling adorned with stuccoes, the church was designed by Francesco Cantagallina and is pretty much bare inside. After the earthquake of 1742 two marble portals were made by Isidoro Baratta. The high altar with eight heads of cherubs by Ferdinando Tacca (son of the famous Florentine Pietro Tacca), and the paintings by Francesco Bianchi Buonavita and Felice Ficherelli are the most interesting highlights of this church.

Photo of the Church of St. John Baptist in Livorno by Lucarelli

Photo: Lucarelli Creative Commons

WHERE:City Center - just a few yards from Piazza Municipio
When:Founded in 1425 - rebuilt in 1624
Architect:Francesco Cantagallina
Address:Via Carraia
Open:Weekdays: 4:00 am to 7:00 pm | Sundays and holidays: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Mass:Weekdays: 11:00 am; 7:00 pm | Sunday: 9:00 am; 11:30 am; 5:00 pm
Entrance:FREE

Chiesa di San Ferdinando Re
(Saint Ferdinand's Church)

This church was built outside of the Old City and lies at the heart of Venezia Nuova. Construction of the church was started in 1707 and it was created in a Baroque style that has made it one of the loveliest churches in Livorno. The church managed to survive the bombing of World War II. The exterior is rather unadorned, but the interior of the church steals the show with a nave, side chapels, and a dome, all done in Baroque architecture.

Photo of the Saint Ferdinand's Church in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:Venezia Quarter
When: Consecrated - 1717
Architect: Giovanni Battista Foggini
Address:Piazza Anita Garibaldi
Open:Mass Only
Mass:Weekdays: 5.30pm (winter) and 6:00 pm (summer) | Saturdays: 6:00 pm | Sundays: 9.30 am and 11:00 am.
Entrance:FREE

NOTES: The sculptures by Giovanni Baratta (1670-1747) are a must see. The church is occasonaly used as a venue for classical music events.

Chiesa del Luogo Pio
(Church of the Pius Place)
Only opens occasional

The Church of the Pius Place was originally built next to an orphanage of the same name. During the Second World War the orphanage and other buildings associated with it were destroyed, leaving the church standing on its own. It is currently in the possession of the Seventh Day Adventists in the summer months. The facade is simple and the interior is of Baroque-style. The church once housed the relics of Saint Alexander and the remains of architect Giovanni Fantasia.

Photo of the Church of the Pius Place in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:Venezia Quarter
When:Early 1700's
Architect:Giovanni del Fantasia who is buried in the church.
Address:Piazza Luogo Pio
Open: Occasional for cultural events during the "Effetto Venezia Festival" (Summer)

Chiesa di Santa Giulia
(St. Giulia Church)

This church was built and devoted to the patron saint of the city of Livorno, Saint Giulia. Located next to the cathedral and near Piazza Grande, the church was built in 1606. Later an oratory and cemetery were built next to the church, although only the oratory still remains - known as Capella di San Ranieri. The church itself was damaged during World War II, but since then the wonderfully carved wooden ceiling has been reconstructed in its original likeness. The church houses a few saint's relics and nine knights of the Order of Saint Stephen are buried beneath the floor.

Photo of St. Guilia Church in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:City Center
When:1606
Address: Via di Santa Giulia
Open: Monday to Saturday: 8:00 am to 12:00 pm | Sunday: 9:00 am to 10:30 am
Mass:NA
Entrance:FREE

NOTES: Next to the Duomo on the East side.

Chiesa dei Santi Pietro e Paolo
(Saint Peter and Saint Paul Church)

The Church of Saint Peter and Saint Paul is located in the center of the city of Livorno, along the Fosso Reale. It was built next to a girls' school in a neoclassical style that brings with it a facade adorned with three arches supported by Doric columns. The interior houses a wonderful choir with a harem that runs around to connect with hallways from the school. Among the works of art in the church is Enrico Pollastrini's painting of the Immaculate Conception.

Photo of the CSaint Peter and Saint Paul Church in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE: City Centre - between Fosso Reale and the English Cemetery
When: Consecrated in 1837
Architect:Luigi de Cambray-Digny
Address:Piazza SS. Pietro e Paolo, 28
Open:Mass Only
Mass:Weekdays: 6:00 pm | Sundays: 9:30 am; 11:00 am
Entrance:FREE

Chiesa Anglicana
(Saint George Church)

This church was originally built to house the worship of the Anglican community, which had grown very large in Livorno. It is the site of one of the oldest non-Catholic cemeteries in all of Italy. After being damaged in World War II, the church was passed into the hands of the Confraternity of Mercy, at which time it became a place of Catholic worship. The building is of neoclassical style architecture, with four Iconic columns and a small bell tower.

Photo of the Anglican Church of Saint George in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:City Center - in front of the English Cemetery
When:Completed in 1844
Architect:Angiolo Della Valle
Address:Via Verdi
Open:Mass Only
Mass:Weekdays at 5:00 pm
Entrance:FREE
NOTES: Used by the Romanian Orthodox Congregation with masses for the growing Romanian population

Cimitero Inglese
(English Cemetery)

This cemetery is unique in the region - not forgetting the one in Florence - as it is one of the largest non-Catholic cemeteries in all of Italy. It holds the tombs of the English families who lived in Livorno from the 17th to the 19th centuries, families that were descendants of those in the British navy who settled in Livorno in the late 16th century. The cemetery is housed on a small piece of land that is located right in front of the Church of Saint George (once an Anglican Church) and near to the Waldensian Church (once a Scottish Presbyterian church). The tombs are truly beautiful, with intricate decoration and inscriptions that are poetic in nature.

Photo of the English Cemetery by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:City Center
When:17th Century
Address:Off Via Verdi - right in front of St. George Church
Open:By appointment only via email: livornodellenazioni@gmail.com.
Entrance:FREE
Notes: Besides the tombs of British citizens there also those French Huguenots, Germans, Swiss and a number of American Marines that were buried here. Tobias Smollett, the Scottish writer who died in Livorno in 1771 is the most famous personality buried in the cemetery.

Chiesa Evangelica Valdesi
(Waldensian Church)

The Waldensian Church was one of the few examples of neo-Gothic architecture in Livorno. The Scottish Presbyterians had it built in the 19th century, on the condition that it looked like a house rather than a church. Later, they moved their worship to the Seaman's Institute and the Waldensians eventually purchased the church. During the World War II bombings, the stain glass windows and organ were destroyed. The main floor housed the rooms of the church and the upper floor was the residence of the pastor.

Photo of the Waldensian Church in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:City Center - near Piazza Cavour
When:1850's
Address:Via Verdi
Open:Mass Only
Mass:Sunday - 10:30 am
Entrance:FREE
Notes: On the same street as the former Anglican Church (St. George's) and next to the English Cemetery.

Chiesa di San Benedetto
St. Benedetto Church

This beautiful church was built in the shape of a Greek cross, with a neoclassical facade characterized by eight columns. At the base lie the tombs of wealthy families from Livorno. Built in the early part of the 19th century, the church is located outside of the pentagonal walls of the Old City and close to Piazza XX Settembre. The tower of the church was built in 1860. The interior of the church is adorned with the artwork of several artists of the time. The painting on the altar (on the right) is by Tommaso Gazzarrini - "Saint Carlo Borromeo Administering Holy Communion to the Stricken at Night".

Photo of the St. Bendetto Church in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:City Center
When:1817
Architect:Gaspero Pampaloni
Address:Piazza XX Settembre
Open:Weekdays: 4:00 to 7:00 pm | Sundays and holidays: 10:00 am to 12:00 pm - 4:00 pm to 7:00 pm
Mass:Weekdays: 6.00 pm
Entrance:FREE

NOTES: Although many a travel guide will refer to the Piazza XX Settembre as the site of the American Market (Mercattino Americano) this has been relocated to the port area since 2009.

Chiesa degli Olandesi
(Dutch Church)
Closed

Otherwise known as the Temple of the Congregation Alemanna Dutch, this church is located along the Fosso Reale. It is currently in a bad state of repair and in immanent danger of collapsing due to an unstable ceiling. As such no one can enter the building. It is a fine example of neo-Gothic architecture, narrowly built, and was originally a place of Catholic worship. After changing styles of worship several times, it finally became a place of Protestant worship.

Photo of the Dutch Church in Livorno by Lucarelli R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:Fosso Reale between Piazza Cavour and Piazza della Repubblica.
When:1862-64
Architect:Dario Giacomelli
Address:Scali degli Olandesi
Notes:The once fabulous acoustics and organ were an invitation for music performances - the organ 'vanished' during WWII.

Chiesa di Santa Maria del Soccorso
(St. Mary's Church)

This church was built in the 18th century in the form of the Latin cross. A dome sits at the center of the cross and the interior has a number of chapels along its length. It is the largest church in Livorno, at 90 m in length and 34 m in width. The facade has three gates with three matching windows and four grand columns. The church was built after the city experienced a severe outbreak of cholera because the citizens wanted to have a shrine in which they could ask for the protection of the Madonna.

Photo of St. Mary's Church in Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:City Center | Piazza della Vitoria (end of Via Magenta)
When:1835
Architect:Gaetano Gherardi
Address:Piazza della Vittoria 75
Open:9:00 am - 6:00 pm
Mass:Weekdays: 9.00 am and 6:00 pm | Sundays and holidays: 9:00 am - 10.30 am - 12:00 pm - 6:00 pm
Entrance:FREE
Notes: Piazza della Vittoria is a wonderful tree lined green area.

Chiesa di Sant'Andrea
(Church of Saint Andrew)

The Church of Saint Andrew was built in the early half of the 1800s and was built on the site of a former cemetery in what is now the square of the cistern. The church has a grand bell tower that stands 48 m tall and houses a clock. Inside is the 18th-century crucifix, which has recently been restored to its former glory. The church has a humble and plain facade.

Photo of the Church of Saint Andrewin Livorno by R. Rosado © IQCruising.com

Photo © IQCruising.com

WHERE:City Center - Opposite the Piazza del Cisternone
When: Commissioned in 1837 by Leopoldo II
Architect:Gaetano Gherardi
Address: Via S. Andrea 75
Open:For Mass Only
Mass:Weekdays: 8.30 am and 6:00 pm | Sundays and holidays: 8:00 am - 9.30 am - 11:00 am - 6:00 pm
Entrance:FREE

NOTES: Not to be confused with Waldesiasn Church originally dedicated to St. Andrew when built by the Scottish Presbyterian community.

Share This Livorno Cruise Port Review


The information on this page was accurate when last updated and published but changes may have occurred without notice.
It is advisable to confirm details with local tourist information before planning your cruise, excursions or tours of Livorno.
If any inaccuracies are found or if there are any suggestions to improve the content of this page please let us know.

Submit a Correction / Suggestion.